Registration under the Legal Metrology Act of 2009 is required in following cases:
- For importing weights and measures
- For manufacture or packing or importing packaged commodities
Case 1: Registration for importing weights and measures
Section 19 of the Act
No person shall import any weight or measure unless he is registered with the Director in such manner and on payment of such fees, as may be prescribed.
Whoever imports any weight or measure without being registered under this Act shall be punished with fine which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees and for the second or subsequent offence, with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine, or with both.
An offence under Section 38 is compoundable by the Director of Legal Metrology
Related Provisions of the LM Act.
- Section 20 prohibits import of non-standard weight or measure, singly or or as a part or component. It is an offence under Section 39
- Section 20 prohibits import of any weight or measure without approval of model
- For selling imported weights and measures verification will be necessary and so also dealership license if sold to any one except a dealer.
Procedure of registration
The procedure for registration has been prescribed under Rule 15 of the LM (General) Rules, 2011. The payment of fee payable has been prescribed under Twelfth Schedule and the format for application under Tenth Schedule of the said Rules.
- Only standard weights and measures or components thereof may be imported.
- Manufacturers or dealers will need registration as an importer from the Director of Legal Metrology, GOI.
- The application should be submitted in prescribed form, through the State Controller, to the Director of Legal Metrology, along with the prescribed fee (Rs. 100.00) at least one month before the import. The Controller will forward the application along with a report on antecedents and technical capabilities of the importer.
Down load the format
- The registration will remain effective for 5 years and is renewable.
- The importer is entitled to carry on importing, until the registration is refused after a show cause notice is issued and the reply thereto is disposed.
Case 2: Registration for importing/manufacturing/packing of packaged commodities
Every importer, manufacturer or packer of packaged commodities will require registration under Rule 27 of the LM (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011. The registration may be made with rhe Director of Legal Metrology of the Central government or the Controller of Legal metrology of the State where the importing or packing is done. Wherever the registration is made, it is valid for the entire country for
- All the premises of import or packing mentioned in the Registration Certificate
- For the items mentioned in the Registration Certificate.